History of The Ashley Inn, Circa 1832

This historic Charleston bed and breakfast was built by Alexander Black, an inventor of rice and cotton processing equipment. Since then the property has changed hands several times.

One of the owners in modern times had converted the complex into three apartments, one in the former slave quarters (The Carriage House) behind the main house, one in the first floor of the main house, and one that included the second and third floors of the main house.

The previous owner bought the property which was in much disrepair, in 1992. They totally restored the main house and slave quarters inside and out, paved the drive and parking areas, and planted a new garden with brick walking paths, adding a fish pond, and fountain.

The restoration took almost a year and even though the home had suffered severely from lack of maintenance, all of the original plaster medallions, plaster crown moldings and beautiful heart pine floors, pocket doors that divide the parlor and dining rooms were retained and restored to their original state enhancing the charm of this Charleston B&B.

The two first floor fireplaces had been converted to coal grates by filling in the fire boxes with brick and mortar. They were cleared of the mortar and returned to wood burning as they were in 1832. The parlor and dining room closely resemble the home as it would have existed during the ownership of Mr. Black and provide a wonderful backdrop for the gourmet breakfasts for which the Ashley Inn has become so well known.

We continue with restorations to the house as the ravages of time demands and are committed to maintaining it in keeping with the original owners style of the day from 1832.