History of The Cannonboro Inn, Circa 1853
Cannonboro Inn in Charleston, South CarolinaThe Cannonboro Inn is a Historic Charleston inn built in 1853 by William Lucas. It is a Charleston single house built in the Victorian style of architecture. Mr. Lucas, a wealthy rice planter, was married to Charlotte Hune and they parented 10 children. Their plantation was called “wedge” plantation and was located northeast of Charleston near McClellanville. The Lucas family was a family of note in Charleston with Jonathan Lucas Street two blocks from the inn who was William’s father. His great, great, great aunt was Eliza Lucas (Pinkney) and was credited with having introduced Indigo into South Carolina in 1744.
The property changed hands several numerous since 1853 and was converted to a boarding house in the early 1930s and into a bed and breakfast in the 1980’s. The previous owner purchased the property, which was in much disrepair, in 1990. The house was completely restored, inside and out, a new garden and brick walks were added along with a fish pond and fountain.
The restoration took over a year and even though the home had suffered severely from lack of maintenance, most of the original plaster crown moldings and beautiful heart pine floors were retained and restored to their original state, giving the inn a place among some of the finest historic Charleston hotels.
The house is particularly noted for its 2 curved piazzas (up and down) which feature 22 massive columns. The piazza provides an ideal setting for serving gourmet breakfasts overlooking the walking garden, pond and fountain. We continue with restorations to the house as the ravages of time demands and are committed to maintaining it in keeping with the original owners style of the day from 1832.